Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Momentary Blindness I - Roma

I sit, nearly squatting, on a curb of a cobblestone walkway that lines the perimeter of the piazza. Comfortable in temperature, the sun hides behind layers of clouds while a soft, cool breeze puts my clothes at flight and flutters the corner of my page. Although I stay quiet and simply pause all interactions, my surroundings stay vibrant with bustling life. The Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi is settled a mere few feet behind me. The gushing of water across the monument permeates and drowns out the faint sounds of the city. The sound of the fountain and the delicate aroma of the nearby restaurants are the only elements that remain consistent in my current sustained position. Fighting the urge to visually direct my attention to every noise is one of the greatest challenges while engulfed in a stimulating atmosphere. Thousands of murmured conversations fill my ears with moments of comprehension and others with clarity, but a linguistic barricade prevents full awareness. A man standing on the corner across the street begins to wail in an attempt to lure in  Americans, but after a few minutes of trying, he accepted failure and ceased. Coming from behind, at least two men begin a conversation in Italian. Close enough in proximity to hear, yet lacking the education to eavesdrop. Moments later, one begins singing “I Love You Baby” which I easily pick up as it is in English and of course, the one and only Frank Sinatra. Now honed in on these men, my mind blurs the peripheral noise and I listen intently to the fun duet unfolding behind me. Following the terse entertainment, everything becomes clear again and I feel as though I can hear a vast range of tones from miles away. When maneuvering through the congested city, it may be hard to appreciate your neighboring environs due to constantly keeping your head on a swivel to avoid people, cars, bikes, etc. But once you take a moment to sit and truly perceive your other senses, you immerse yourself in a new realm.




(Piazza Navona, 5/21/19, 2:50pm)

No comments:

Post a Comment